Each week we are posting General Intercessions for the upcoming Sunday liturgies by Msgr. Joseph Masiello, retired pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Westfield, NJ. These intercessions are based on the assigned scriptures, the liturgical season and current events.
FIRST SUNDAY OF ADVENT
CELEBRANT: Let us lift our hands in prayer and raise our hearts in hope to the Lord our Redeemer, Who is and Who is coming again!
READER: Please respond, “COME, LORD JESUS!”
1. That God’s holy people, shepherds and faithful, may be fully engaged in the labor of love the Christ has entrusted to them, and thus be found awake and watching for His coming, we pray. . .
2. That the peoples of the earth and especially their leaders may turn their hands from violence, work unceasingly for a new advent of peace, embrace the ways of righteousness, and hear the cries of the poor, we pray. . .
3. That Advent may bring a renewed commitment to justice and racial harmony in every community across our land, we pray. . .
4. That the world community may not turn a blind eye to the many suffering nature’s wrath, but rather commit the resources needed to restore hope to shattered lives, we pray. . .
5. That any and all barriers to a peaceful presidential transition may be removed soon and very soon for the sake of the nation’s health and security, we pray. . .
6. That those coming home to Church life after a time of absence may find within our community a place of welcome and a heart of hospitality, we pray. . .
7. That our service men and women far from home as well as our First Responders and essential workers may know the blessing of safety; and, the seriously ill in our parish community and among our family members and friends be gifted with love’s comfort and the healing touch of our God, (especially ____________________, we pray. . .
8. That Easter’s glorious promise may be the hope of those among us in mourning; and, ____________________, (and) all our beloved dead, who served the living and true God, come to the everlasting embrace of our God’s love and peace, we pray. . .
CELEBRANT: Lord our God, we praise you for Your Son, Jesus Christ: He is Emmanuel, the hope of the peoples; He is the Wisdom that teaches and guides us; He is the Savior of every nation. Let your blessing come upon us as we begin this Advent season. May the holiness of our words and deeds show us to be watchful and alert for the great coming. This we pray through Christ our Lord. Amen.